The First 48 is simply the first 48 thoughts that come to mind when listening to an album or mixtape for the first time.Consider it not quite a full review but more so a preview/quick summary piece. Just something light to give you an idea of whether or not you want to take that dive and give a project a chance.
What’s on tap for this go round? Light skin Jermaine’s unexpected junior effort, 2014 Forest Hills Drive. With an interesting roll out for this album (That whole “Roc” family has mastered this. See Yeezus, MCHG, and the Beyoncé album you should’ve saw coming.) that included announcing it three weeks before it’s release and no singles. So there’s really nothing to base or prejudge the album off of except for Cole’s previous efforts.
Without further ado here we go the First 48 on 2014 Forest Hills Drive.
1) *Looks at tracklist* 13 tracks. Not as long as Born Sinner was (thankfully).
2) I loved Born Sinner but it ran a bit too long
3) Assuming like always Cole is handling the bulk of the production.
4) That could go bad or very good.
5) The “Intro” was interesting to say the least.
6) Feel like he recorded it after he did the track dedicated to Mike Brown.
7) That beat is lovely though.
8) “Just got paid what Cochran got paid to free OJ”.
9) “I turn the TV on not one hero in sight. Unless he dribble or he fiddle with mics” Jesus, Cole don’t hurt em.
10) 2 tracks in. 2 soulful, beautiful beats.
11) “Wet Dreamz” is EVERY MAN’s story of getting that first piece of ass.
12) “Most of all I’m praying God don’t let me bust quick.” REAL LIFE SHIT.
13) Is that a flip of “Runnin” on “03′ Adolescence”?
14) This beat is on point tho.
15) “I got four brothers, one mother that don’t love us. If they don’t ain’t us why the fuck ain’t they wear rubbers?” Cole speaking real on this.
16) Listening to “A Tale of 2 Citiez” reminded me of Run The Jewels.
17) SHIT. SHIT. SHIT. “Fire Squad” is just that. This nigga pissed.
18) “Same thing that my nigga Elvis did with Rock n Roll. Justin Timberlake, Eminem, and then Macklemore.” Welp
19) That may be his “Control” moment.
20) “St. Tropez” just seems out-of-place.
21) The beat tho. Especially the brass/horns is amazing.
22) Half way thru and this has been highly enjoyable.
23) I’m guessing “St. Tropez” would’ve been a single.
24) Let’s see what the second half has.
25) “G.O.M.D.” is hilarious and great.
26) One of my favorite ignorant hooks this year.
27) “Man fuck them niggas I come home and I don’t tell nobody.” Pretty sure 90% of people can relate to that.
28) That beat change tho. Why?
29) “Don’t save her. She don’t wanna be saved.” Gospel there.
30) Loving “No Role Modelz”.
31) Yup. Could see “Hello” passing as a single.
32) I hate this scream/sing shit Cole has been trying to do.
33) “Apparently” is a nice little thank you type track.
34) “Love Yourz” that inspirational heartfelt track that you come to expect.
35) This is the Cole that doesn’t get enough shine or love from fans.
36) “Always gon’ be a bitch that’s badder out there.” Another valuable life lesson.
37) “Note To Self” really can’t be 15 minutes long.
38) What is that sample on this? I’ve heard it somewhere recently.
39) Oh this is like Ye’s “Last Call”. Cool.
40) He really doing shout outs. Like really.
41) Cole spoke the truth about samples. The absolute truth.
42) So Cole Columbia deal is up. Free agent or to Dreamville/Interscope. What about Roc Nation?
43) *tells stories about Dale Earnhardt Jr. & Jonah Hill* “I just lied. Fuck it.” LMAO.
44) I see why he titled the album that. Very personal album.
45) Highlights: “Fire Squad”, “G.O.M.D.”, “No Role Modelz”, there being no attempt at a radio record, no features.
46) Lowlights: No features. This is the second straight album with no rapping features. Don’t do it again.
47) Wonder what was left on the cutting room floor.
48) Better than Ross last effort. Maybe better than Krit on first listen.
There we go people the First 48 on Cole’s latest effort. Definitely better than his debut and up there with Born Sinner. Full review coming soon.
The thoughts of this article resonates the authors thoughts, not a general consensus of the website.